The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Named.Conf Destroyed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moogle, Sep 5, 2004.

1. moogle

moogle Well-Known Member

On 1 of my servers yesterday the named.conf file was found destroyed. Restarting Bind revealed the horror, and today I have had to do the same on another server where all entries after 's' have disappeared. I'm afraid to look at any of my other servers.

What happened? And why does it do this?!

2. stuartj

stuartj Member

Ive been fixing this for days

Ive noticed that when the machines run cpanel update or updatenow is run mostly on rh9 machines the named.conf gets lost the file itself is fine

But what its doing is when fixndc updates pre update it uses /var/named to store the database files db zones.

Once run the files are there but the named.conf is no longer working due to /etc/namedb being downloaded from cpanels updates. /var/named is the correct location but the fixedndc is trying to create /etc/namedb which does not exist by default

the fixndc used to have /etc/named.conf as default but for some reason it it using /etc/namedb/named.conf unless the folder exists it wont fix the named.conf

Using symbolic links sometimes works but not all the time. The error seems to be spreading I have now seen it affecting Savvis/Planet & FDC boxes.

I have 4 boxes today to fix that have done this

Anyone else notice this error ?

Stuart.

3. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

Is it just on RH9?

Also how would it be fixed? I'm curious, for future reference.