The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

named.conf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckh, Nov 13, 2004.

1. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm running freeBSD and have the named.conf in the etc/named and var/named directories.

When I look at the contents, some of domains are set up like:

zone "domainname.com" {
    type master;
    file "/var/named/domainname.com.db";
    };

while others are set up like:

zone "somedomain.com" {
    type master;
    file "/etc/namedb/somedomain.com.db";
    };

The difference being the location of the .db file. This is the same in both named.conf files.

My question, should they all be pointing to the /etc/namedb directory or the /var/named/ directory, or should the domains in the etc/named directory be pointing to itself as the directory and the same with var/named ??

And, my named.conf file in the /etc directory never gets updated, is this normal?

Thanks
    Chris

#1 ckh, Nov 13, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I too am having problems like this. The /etc/namedb and /var/named shouldn't be much of an issue as /var/named is a symlink to /etc/namedb. However the /etc/named.conf file that is not updating seems to be causing problems with new accounts. I have tried copying the first part of /etc/named.conf, the rndc-key to the /var/named/named.conf file and creating a symlink of that file to /etc/named.conf. So far it seems to be ok, but I'm not sure if this is a real fix.