The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Named does not start.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AvalonHosting, Oct 9, 2007.

1. AvalonHosting

AvalonHosting Registered

Seemingly out of nowhere, named doesn't want to start normally.

"service named restart" will not start it, it seems to keep loading fine and then it just fails.

"/usr/sbin/named -u named" works perfectly fine.

I've looked around and see other people were told to post the last few lines of /var/log/messages, so...

Also, here's /etc/named.conf up to the part where it starts listing zones... forums won't let me post all that.

Hopefully I can get some help.

#1 AvalonHosting, Oct 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2007
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might try running:
    /scripts/fixnamed

And see if that sorts it.

3. AvalonHosting

AvalonHosting Registered

It turns out that for some reason, every single DNS zone is basically copied over twice in the same file. cPanel suggested restoring backups but they're a month old and I'm not thinking that's an option. I've been playing with sed on a custom directory but I can't really figure anything out.

The last line of every record is

Is there any way to remove everything at that line and after?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    cPanel support suggested restoring a named.conf backup or all accounts backup? Doesn't make sense to me if they said accounts. named.conf maybe, but I doubt that as well. I would think if you asked they'd restore a backup of your named.conf just to assist.

Have you looked to see what your backup named looks like? Is it hosed as well? How many domains are we talking here?

Just about any search and replace tool would work. Heck even copy it into CuteFTP editor to do a search/replace would work fine.

If you're not comfortable working via command line, grab this. http://www.configserver.com/cp/cse.html

5. AvalonHosting

AvalonHosting Registered

She suggested restoring all accounts backup. The zone files were corrupted because something caused them to write themselves twice into the same file, which was giving named some troubles. And a search and replace wouldn't exactly work for that because we have 300+ customers and not that much patience.

I ended up figuring out the sed command and regexes, and I made a quick script to remove everything starting with the SPF record, then I readded the SPF records.

Thanks for the suggestions though. And I'm going to look into that ConfigServer Explorer as well, looks pretty good.