The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

named is using too much cpu

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morgana, May 18, 2007.

1. Morgana

Morgana Active Member

For a few days now named is using 40% of the cpu. With this problem there is also an increased of traffic. I blocked the IP's that I thought was causing the extra increase of traffic but that did not help. So I guess that the "named" probem is connected to the extra datatraffic.

I tried several things to get named back to normal (restarting the server, bind, etc.) but that did not help.

I checked /var/log/messages and saw this messages repeating since the beginning of the problem:

May 19 01:02:00 Hostname named[9562]: lame server resolving 'domainx.com' (in 'domainx.com'?): nameserver1#53
    May 19 01:02:00 Hostname named[9562]: lame server resolving 'domainx.com' (in 'domainx.com'?): nameserver2#53

domainx.com (not the actual domain) was a domain that I suspected, had a script that caused an increase of the server load. However I removed that account a few days ago but I still get the message/error about this account.

Has someone alse had the same problem before? Any advise would be welcome?

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Are you sure the "named" process is BIND and not a name for a malicious script exhausting resources on your server? Did you stop named for a little while to see if that has any effect on your CPU load?

Lame server is one that is advertised to have authoritative information about a domain, but doesn't. This can happen in a few different ways, but it's usually not worth the trouble to track down the administrator of the other domain. TO solve this issue, add this directive to /etc/named.conf in the "options" section:

This will allow you to run your own zones as a master, and stop anyone but your server from using your DNS to look up hosts you aren't authoratative for (recursive lookups). That should eliminate the possibility that someone else's queries causing this issue.

If you wish to clean up the logs, add this to /etc/named.conf, below the options section

Hope this helps!

3. Morgana

Morgana Active Member

Yes, I did stop named for a while and the CPU load went down. What I did now is change the nameservers of the domain to something else ("away" from the current nameservers) and now that the domain name has propagated. The problem is solved. Which is strange !!

This:

version "not currently available";
    allow-recursion { trusted; };
    allow-notify { trusted; };
    allow-transfer { trusted; };

is very usefull and I will try this.

Thank you very much for your help.

4. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Ran across this while tweaking my own system... slight correction:

Code:
    logging {