The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

named question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rs-freddo, Dec 28, 2003.

1. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Zone update refused:
    211.26.141.7 (domain.com.au/IN): 58 Time(s)

I get this message in logwatch every day from different IP addresses. Always for the one domain.

Some background. The old hosting company did DNS forwarding to our IP because the customer had lost the domain name management login info. However, after getting the password the DNS was changed to our Nameservers, bypassing the old nameservers.

Anyone know what this means?

2. DrChaos

DrChaos Active Member

No one? I also have this for one domain only..always different IPs. Does this mean some dns servers aren't accepting the updated info?

3. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

Well, it means that a zone update was not authorized.
    I would need to know more details though as to whether this was an outbound or inbound zone update.
    Normally in a correct bind configuration only the master nameservers of a zone (domain) are authorized to do zone updates. Of course there is dynDNS but I will not go into that here. The there is the zone update that occurs between the Master and its Secondaries by either sending a notify and the Secondaries comparing serial no. for the zone and the update checks depending on the time out value for the secondaries in the zone.
    Sometimes people like to inject false DNS information into an unprotected zone to hijack it though!
    So what I would need to see is the zone file for that zone in question and the part of the bind log file where it states the error. You can send it through PM if you like and I can then post the solution here to keep information private.

4. hostseeker

hostseeker Well-Known Member

Was this ever resolved? I get the same error in my logwatch every day:

--------------------- Named Begin ------------------------

Zone update refused:
    216.xxx.xxx.xxx (thedomain.com/IN): 557 Time(s)

---------------------- Named End -------------------------

5. rockstar

rockstar Member

I have the same issue and has only recently cropped up (past couple of weeks). It is always inbound, always the same IP and always the same domain name. Any ideas on how to take care of this? Should I be contacting the owner of the IP range?