The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"named" sometimes points people to old locations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by schwim, Dec 29, 2006.

1. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Hi there guys,

I've got a problem, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Situation:

We moved a client's site over from another server to our server, and pointed their domain to our nameservers. Now, over one month after doing this we have the following problem: About 25%-50% of the site requests are getting routed to the old server. I've run traceroutes upon traceroutes, and they're all getting to my server. For some reason, my server is then sending them BACK to the old server. My domain host said this can happen when a nameserver is using an old cache of the names.

How do I fix this? The client is torqued, and I can't blame her, but I'm at a loss as to what I need to do to stop it from happening.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what causes me to need the named service running. Do I need it running if I'm simply running normal shared accounts on the server?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    json

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Yes, it is possible that the DNS on your server is misconfigured.

HOWEVER ...

It's equally possible that your client's computer or ISP has old stale
    routing cache that isn't getting updated or a forced hosts entry
    in which case, there is little you can do because the problem is
    not on your end.

I would start the investigation at http://www.dnsreport.com
    and see what it has to say about the domain in question.

Assuming all looks good there, the next thing I would check
    is what IP numbers are actually assigned to your DNS servers
    and you can check that at http://www.internic.org and use
    their nameserver whois tool.

You can try running traceroutes to each of your DNS server names
    and the domain in question and see what that turns up. Some
    good network diagnostic tools are at http://www.dnstools.com

PS: Regarding your question, "named" is your DNS server ---
    without it your clients can't connect because there would be no
    way to resolve your domains to their numeric IP addresses

3. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for your reply, and I think it helped me get closer to the problem.

I ran the search tool in the first link you provided, and got these results. Please notice that it shows:

and later:

Avahost is the old server it was hosted on. schwimsdns.com is the new server that it's supposed to be hosted on.

The problem is occuring regardless of the ISP, so I'm pretty sure that the problem lies with the fact that for some reason, my server is sending the requests to avahost.net, but only some of the time.

How do I get my server (schwimsdns.com) to stop pointing requests to the old server (avahost.net)?

The reason I asked about the named service being necessary, is because during setup, it kept asking if I was sure that I wanted it running that it was resource intensive.

thanks very much for taking the time to help me.
    json

#3 schwim, Dec 29, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  4. MN-Robert

MN-Robert Well-Known Member

This is an issue with cpanel. It appeared probably 2-3 weeks ago as we have it on some accounts that are parked at godaddy then create an account and the zone recorded created on the new account has godaddy's ns records. We need to manually change the zone to our records. Not sure why I've checked the zone templates and they look fine.

5. MN-Robert

6. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for your reply. I edited the zone file, and it had the old information in it, which I never thought to check since I had created the templates. Not very bright of me.

I changed them and when I run the DNS Reports test, it's now showing correctly, but when I view the site or connect via FTP, I'm still getting to the old site sometimes. I thought that since the change was being made at the final location, that any changes would be immediate. Is this not the case? Do I need to wait the normal 24-48 hours for the ISP's to note that there's no longer any "stealth nameservers"?

Thanks again very much for your help,
    json

7. MN-Robert

It's cached so you will need to wait. I suggest you reply to the bug report i linked to so we get some action on this issue. It's not good enough to be an issue for two months.

8. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

I did as you suggested, and wrote a reply to the bug report. Thanks very much for your assistance. It would have taken me forever to stumble upon it!

thanks,
    json