The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

names not resolving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AbeFroman, Mar 16, 2002.

1. AbeFroman

AbeFroman BANNED

Hello,

I have had an unually large percentage of names not resolving to there ip, i get &this page cannot be displayed& pages when i type in the name, it works if i type in the IP. The dns info is correct on the whois record and nslookup is correct too, has anyone else had this problem? How do i fix?

2. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

In a situation like this, the first place to look would be to bind - make sure it's running.

3. totalufo

totalufo Well-Known Member

[quote:b1762d9393][i:b1762d9393]Originally posted by AbeFroman[/i:b1762d9393]

Hello,

I have had an unually large percentage of names not resolving to there ip, i get &this page cannot be displayed& pages when i type in the name, it works if i type in the IP. The dns info is correct on the whois record and nslookup is correct too, has anyone else had this problem? How do i fix?
    [/quote:b1762d9393]

Be sure that when you restart bind that it doesn't say in small print to the right &Named not Running& Check and let us know

4. AbeFroman

AbeFroman BANNED

bind started ok

Bind started ok
    Hello,

i tried restarting Bind, it started ok.

the site i am having trouble with is buildingdreams.info the dns was changed with register over a week ago, it shows up correctly on the whois and nslookup is correct.

I had this problem before with other site but i just deleted and recreated the account, i tried that in this case(yesterday) with no success.

please help!

5. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You have a DNS problem, as the domain isn't showing up for anybody but your own nameserver.

nslookup buildingdreams.info NS.SECUREDNSHOST.COM
    Server: ns.securednshost.com
    Address: 66.96.228.71

Name: buildingdreams.info
    Address: 66.197.177.169

nslookup buildingdreams.info dns2.rr.com
    Server: dns2.rr.com
    Address: 24.30.201.3

*** dns2.rr.com can't find buildingdreams.info: Non-existent host/domain

host buildingdreams.info
    Host not found.

Register.com nameservers are returning it as buildingdreams.info.darkorb.net, which points to an issue locally on the box. Check/reload the zone file. If you're having this issue consistently, you might also check /etc/resolv.conf to see how that is set.