vanilla

Dec 20, 2020
Switzerland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi there

I'm new into cpanel and looks amazing. So i was testing around and would like to build a test lab.

We host our server on azure and my question is:

Should i host a Azure DNS or the Nameserver itself in cpanel. If so, what does the best practise looks like? So that whmcs, whm and cpanel works well together.

Kind regards!

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! Personally, I like having my nameservers local to cPanel. That way, if I create a subdomain or add a new domain, all the DNS is handled for me automatically. I don't need to go to a remote provider and add the DNS information manually as cPanel just takes care of all that for you.

If you're not familiar with the process of setting up nameservers you might find this article helpful:

but let me know if you have any questions!

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ha - thanks!

If you use a DNS cluster, you can use any number of machines for the parent nameservers. Once the cluster is setup, any changes you make on the clustered machines get automatically synced to the parent cluster servers. For example, if you have a webserver that syncs with 4 DNS cluster servers and those are each one of your nameservers, cPanel will see your system is part of a cluster and sync the DNS updates for you.

Reactions: vanilla

vanilla

Dec 20, 2020
Switzerland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Amazing! So that would exactly fit my need.

Where can i find more docs/how to about it?

Cpanel is by far the strongest solution i have saw. You all are doing an amazing piece of work.

vanilla

Dec 20, 2020
Switzerland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
so to achieve that, i can 4 linux servers ford dns. I saw "cpanel DNSonly" what does it mean (setup and licensing).

On WHMCS - as long i have a valid license which i'm pay -, i can have also a dev license for free for testing. Does cpanel something also offer?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
cPanel DNSOnly licenses are free, and let you setup the DNSOnly software on the nameserver systems at no additional cost. Specific details on how to install that software can be found here:

so there is no dev or trial license necessary for that tool :D

vanilla

Dec 20, 2020
Switzerland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
wow for real? thats amazing. why didn't i move earlier to cpanel :D?

so my idea would be to setup a DNS Cluster with 4 nameserver.

ns1 = ip1
ns2 = ip2

And everything syncs auto? so that each ns has the same entries.

and thanks for the docs. im reading them :>

vanilla

Dec 20, 2020
Switzerland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Allright didn't thought, that cpanel would take all the hard work for me :D

So i will setup 2x cpanel dnsonly vms and try it out.

thank you for your amazing help! Best Trex 11/10 really amazing. it's green.