The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver change

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by HH-Steven, Feb 17, 2005.

1. HH-Steven

HH-Steven Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, at the moment everything to do with my server is related to fs-hosting.com

Im wanting to change all details so that the server uses fs-is.com as the main details etc.....

Current Nameserver :

ns1.fs-hosting.com
    ns2.fs-hosting.com
    ns3.fs-hosting.com
    ns4.fs-hosting.com

all to there respective ips's

How can i change these to use ns1-ns4.fs-is.com?

I know details are a bit sketchy and i apologise for that but would someone be nice enough to post me a step by step guide as to what needs to be done?

Ive managed to figure out that no sites will have any downtime with this as fs-hosting domain has the ip's/nameservers setup at the registar (hope that makes sense)

Thanks for any help.

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Since you are already aware of the potential down time issue then the changes can be made thru WHM and confirmed by checking the following dns related files:

/etc/named.conf
    /etc/nameserverips
    /etc/wwwacct.conf
    /etc/resolv.conf
    /var/named/"domain db files"

Also restarting bind/named and spot checking your domains at dnsreport.com will give you some assurance that the changes are being propagated. BTW....propagation times have improved considerably as the larger registrars have moved to shortend update times for the root name servers.