The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver Confusion

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ascii, Feb 2, 2005.

1. ascii

ascii Member

All,

I am in the process of setting up cpanel and need some guidance in getting this correct.

I would like to run a nameserver (bind for example) on the same server that cpanel is running on such that the cpanel server can also double as one of two name servers for hosted domains.

Is this possible within cpanel, or do I need to run and configure bind outside of cpanel? If it is possible to manage within cpanel what are the screens/steps I need to use to configure this.

For example:
    The cpanel server is:
    cpanel.example.com

cpanel.example.com has 1 NIC with 3 IP addresses:

I would like to setup it up such that:
    192.168.1.4 = ns1.example.com
    192.168.1.5 = ns2.example.com

Furthermore I would like to configure my hosted domains to use this for its nameservers:

hosted-domain-a.com has nameserver entries of ns1.example.com, and ns2.example.com
    hosted-domain-b.com has nameserver entries of ns1.example.com, and ns2.example.com
    Etc.

Hopefully I haven't over complicated a simple question!

Thanks for your guidance.
    Sincerely...

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your example should work fine. Check this site for additional info: http://www.webhostgear.com/11.html
    The only change would be to not use 127.0.0.1 in the resolv.conf but instead the main IP of your server.