The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nameserver disabled/resolver

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by oembry, Apr 15, 2008.

1. oembry

oembry Registered

Apr 15, 2008
    1) How can I as root via the Control Panel re-enable the nameserver as it is disabled and so BIND cannot start nor re-start? If there is not a way to do this from within the Control Panel, how can I access the server via SSH? I do not recall seeing any documentation on using SSH.

2) For the resolver IP, where do the IP addresses come from?

Thank you.
  2. LiNUxG0d

LiNUxG0d Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
    Hi there,

1) Under Service Configuration -> Service Manager in your WHM, you can enable the named service which is the DNS. You can also use the Restart Services -> DNS Server (BIND) option to re-start it at will.

2) If you're running DHCP style, they are usually auto-filled. If not, they are specified when you first install cPanel/WHM. If you need to, at any time, you can set them using the Networking Setup -> Resolver Configuration Wizard.

Now, I will go off in a rant here, so bear with me for a moment. Get your geek glasses on. ;) If you have a DNS server on your server, running, you can use localhost or as a name server. I don't usually suggest it though, but I'm letting you know this is an option. Your NOC/ISP/Host will probably have DNS servers that you can use as well, for DNS lookup purposes. This gives you better results than using your localhost. The last option is using a 3rd party free DNS service such as OpenDNS ( to resolve for you. They have many options, give them a look.

I hope this information finds you in good spirits. :) Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Warmest regards,
    #2 LiNUxG0d, Apr 16, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2008