The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver, DNS, I give up I have no clue!

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Registered

Sep 28, 2004
    Ok firstly, I did use the search function here and I could find loads of topics but nothing concrete or matching my problem specifically.

I bought a server, had it setup on a domain and all was well. I have all my domains registered through and all seems well.

I want to change the nameservers on my server from the originally installed one to another domain I will be keeping. So I have and for example and I want to change them to be and, BUT I don't want any downtime at the people on my server who I host wont be happy ;)

so here is what I have done so far, I have gone into WHM and I have assigned two fo the 3 spare IPs I had to the new names servers, so they are in the list with the current ones too.

I waited and obviously I missed doing something as everytime I try to change them on a domain at godaddy it tells me the host entry is invalid. I have tried and tried to figure out what the heck to do but its just too confusing, godaddy's site tells me nothing and when I went to my host they started talking tlds and all sorts and I just got lost.

So can someone give me a totally n00bie guide to doing this, I need to get rid of my old nameservers, add new one and have no downtime, so I was going to hopefully run them alongside each other until they both existed and I could do a straight swap.

Please can someone help me out here, I am really sorry if I have reposted a previous problem, but I could find nothing specifically to do with this.

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2001
    ON, Canada
    You set up the new nameservers in WHM. Did you register them at Godaddy? You need to go to your Godaddy settings for and register the nameservers under "Domain Host Summary". A few hours later you will be able to use the new nameservers.

At that point, just add the new nameservers to all the domains, then a couple days later you can remove the old ones.

With most ISP's the nameserver changes will be done within hours, but many take a day or 2, and some may even take longer, so if it's not a rush to remove the old ones, you may want to wait a week.