The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver domain

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by uk01, Jul 31, 2014.

1. uk01

uk01 Well-Known Member

Hi
    I've got 2 servers and just setting up cPanel dnsonly.

I have
    Ns1.mydomain.com standalone at one location
    Ns2.mydomain.com standalone at another location

Server1.mydomain.com syncing to ns1 and 2
    Server2.mydomain.com syncing to ns1 and 2

Currently mydomain.com is hosted on server1 and the dns zone contains info of the 2 nameserver ips

Q1. Do I need to host mydomain.com on server 2 with a dns zone there to or is the actual mydomain.com account irrelevant?

Q2. If server 1 goes down, as this hosts mydomain.com does this affect server 2 which is using the nameservers of that domain or will server to just simply keep working via the dnsonly servers?

Q3. If a reseller wanted a white label nameserver and I have him ns1.anything.com do I need to add anything.com to server 1/2 or can I just set the nameserver at the registrar. Does a domain used just for a nameserver actually have to be an account with a dns zone?

Thanks, I know some of these questions may seem obvious but in just looking for clarification so I know everything is running smooth.
    I appreciate any responses

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

1. No, you should only create an account on one hosting server. cPanel/WHM will prevent you from creating an account on another server because the DNS Zone will already exist.

2. DNS will still function because the zones exist and operate on the DNS-Only servers, not the cPanel hosting server.

3. You would simply create those name servers at the registrar. Any zones the reseller creates are automatically synced to the cluster. The zone itself is required, but an account is not required.

Thank you.

3. uk01

uk01 Well-Known Member

Brilliant, thanks for that Michael :)