The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver IP allocation issues

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by MonkeyShark, Jul 23, 2011.

1. MonkeyShark

MonkeyShark Registered

I've been wanting to install an SSL cert on one of my domains so I moved it to my second IP (dedicated). After doing it both nameservers gave themselves the second IP. I changed it back to my first IP (shared) however the nameservers didn't change back. I've tried reassigning the IPs to the nameservers in the basic setup however it wont let me do it.

In other words, how can I change the IP for nameserver 1 to my first IP?

Any ideas? At the moment I've just changed the DNS zone back to how it was but that doesn't update the records elsewhere.

#1 MonkeyShark, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Try /etc/nameserverips, and manually editing the dns zone(s) for those records to set them back to the main IP.

3. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How do you check the Nameserver IPs?

Via WHM - Main >> DNS Functions >> Nameserver IPs ?

I have seen "wrong" values there too.
    The question is, where does the routine (/scripts2/listassignednsips) get there values from?
    It isn't /etc/nameserverips . The routine might use a caching, since nameserver are displayed which are no longer in /etc/nameserverips.

BTW: /var/named is empty in terms of of local zones . No zones left.

Still nameserver names with and without ips are displayed via WHM.

Ok. I answer my question ;-)

/var/cpanel/nameserverips.yaml
    /var/cpanel/nameserverips.cache
    are used.

Wonder how that can be regenerated. Manual editing is possible, but it should be fixed in an automatic way.

#3 lorio, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Nameserver IPs area is for display purposes only. It does not alter or impact the DNS zone entries nor the domain registrar private nameserver registration. Manually editing /var/cpanel/nameserverips.yaml would be fine, since no matter what that area in WHM displays, it is only informational and meaningless to the actual DNS zone records.

5. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    And since it isn't displaying the actual data it isn't even informational. The question is why it isn't removed at all.

6. RandallKent

RandallKent Member

They appear to regenerate when/if deleted. I deleted /var/cpanel/nameserverips.yaml and /var/cpanel/nameserverips.cache - when I revisited the Nameserver IPs page everything looked good.

Disclaimer: Always make a backup before deleting/modifying files :)

7. cPanelTracey

cPanelTracey Member
    Staff Member

We had received clarification on this feature, and the nameserverips.yaml file from our developers. I wanted to share this to clarify the intended behavior.

The functionality of the "Nameserver IPs" page was changed in 11.30. It is now a report, and not a page meant to configure any aspect of DNS. It reports the nameservers used by zones on the server, as well as a count of the the number of zones that use a given nameserver.

The nameserverips.yaml file is automatically updated, and not meant to be altered by hand. Neither is the /etc/nameserverips file. The script /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updatenameserverips populates the yaml file automatically. This script retrieves the information it populates the yaml file with by scanning the zones on the server for NS records, then using /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/quickdnslookup to get the IP.

The correct way of updating the information on Nameserver IPs is through the "Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" page, and to ensure a proper DNS configuration. If the Nameserver IPs page is presenting incorrect information when DNS is set up correctly, this is a bug and should be reported via a support ticket.