The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver & IP issues

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by SludgeMeister, Nov 25, 2010.

1. SludgeMeister

SludgeMeister Member

Hello,

I've had to change my server hostname due to an issue at my registrar. I've done this and I of course now need to change the servers nameservers.

I have gone to Basic cPanel & WHM Setup and navigated to the bottom where I replaced the previous nameservers (which for example were ns1.domain1.com / ns2.domain1.com) with ns1.domain2.co.uk / ns2.domain2.co.uk

However, I am now stuck. I need to assign the IP's to these 2 new nameservers and for some reason WHM is not letting me.

If I click "Assign IP Address" next to where I have inputted the new NS's on the "Cpanel & WHM Setup" page, it tells me "Sorry you are out of ips to assign as nameservers".

This is a new server and I was assigned 13 IP's. I have assigned all IP's to WHM. I have checked "ifconfig" via ssh and it shows the IP's there.

Some Google searches have suggested several ways to remedy this issue but rather than try any of the several solutions I thought I'd ask here as I don't want to mess anything up.

I need to use my servers main IP for NS1 and I have a vacant IP for ns2.

One of the suggestions was to manually edit /etc/nameserverips adding in the IP's I wanted to use for NS. This file is empty at the moment. However, the same page I read this suggestion from stated not to add your main server IP - So I am confused.

If someone could assist me with this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tom

2. SludgeMeister

SludgeMeister Member

Further reading on this lead me to try out one possible solution.

I editted /etc/nameserverips (which is empty) and added:

IP=ns1.domain2.co.uk
    IP=ns2.domain2.co.uk

So I've manually assigned the IP's (one is the main server IP another is a vacant IP).

I then used WHM's "Rebuild IP Pool". I opened /etc/nameserverips again and it has the above (NS IPs) and has added all my other IP's with a suffix of "=0".

I've checked "Nameserver IP's" via WHM and sure enough both my Nameservers AND their IP's are listed, where as before they were not.

I just wanted to clarify this is the best way to have done this.

Thanks