The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nameserver IP Setup

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by gotalk, Dec 5, 2010.

1. gotalk

gotalk Member

I have an issue with my nameservers (at least I think I do) and would like some advice:

I have a VPS. I have a domain registered at godaddy and have the host ns1 and ns2 set to two different IPs. ns1 is set to my main server Ip and ns2 is set to another open IP on my server. I have A records set to these IPs on this domain as well. When I ping ns1.mydomain.net and ns2.mydomain.net they both return the main server IP.

I have sites hosted that are reporting occassional page load issues with "server not found" error. I'm thinking it could be because of a nameserver setup issue.

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. gotalk

gotalk Member

Thanks sawbuck.
    When I do the dnslookup I do see the proper IP address for both ns1 and ns2

When I run them through intoDNS I get several potential problems reported. Being a noob, I have no idea what these mean though. I've listed the info below. Do you see anything that I should fix here?

DATA FROM intoDNS:

TLD Parent Check - WARNING: Looks like the parent servers do not have information for your TLD when asked. This is ok but can be confusing.

DNS Parent sent Glue - The parent nameserver x.xxxx-xxxxxxx.net is not sending out GLUE for every nameservers listed, meaning he is sending out your nameservers host names without sending the A records of those nameservers. It's ok but you have to know that this will require an extra A lookup that can delay a little the connections to your site. This happens a lot if you have nameservers on different TLD (domain.com for example with nameserver ns.domain.org.)

NS records from your nameservers - NS records got from your nameservers listed at the parent NS are:

ns4.xxxxx.com ['69.36.x.xx'] [TTL=86400]
    ns5.xxxxx.com ['69.36.x.xx'] [TTL=86400]
    Recursive Queries - I could use the nameservers listed below to performe recursive queries. It may be that I am wrong but the chances of that are low. You should not have nameservers that allow recursive queries as this will allow almost anyone to use your nameservers and can cause problems. Problem record(s) are:
    69.36.x.xx

Nameservers are lame - ERROR: looks like you have lame nameservers. The following nameservers are lame:
    69.36.x.xxx
    69.36.x.xx

SOA record - No valid SOA record came back!

4. gotalk

gotalk Member

still not sure about the potential problems reported from intoDNS, but I think I have fixed the ip issue. I went into the DNS zone file for the ns2 nameserver and found that the ip was incorrect. I fixed it and now return the correct IP when pinging ns1 and ns2. I'd still appreciate any comments on the intoDNS report. Thanks

5. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The lame nameservers should be removed and the recursion problem will go with them.

If you need more help and don't want to post the domain you can send me a PM.

6. gotalk

gotalk Member

Thanks sawbuck -- The IPs listed under "Nameservers are lame" are not mine but look like IPs from my VPS provider (JTLnet). Does this have something to do with the way my VPS is set up? What info do you need to help me fix it?

7. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes likely how it was setup - which might just be the default for customers not wanting to run dns.

Looks like your provider is managed so you can submit a ticket with them.

If not send me a PM and I'll help if you want to give me access.

#7 sawbuck, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  8. winet

winet Registered

you are already asking the same question(i think) i was gonna post, so i'm just waiting for the answer here.

the only different is, i have a managed dedicated server host by iweb.com and i have a domain registered at godaddy.com

i think my version of the question is:
    i don't know how to set the nameserver on godaddy.com into my host at iweb.com. even though my host is already hosting nameservers, ns1.mycustomdomain.com ns2.mycustomdomain.com, but i can't just set these nameservers on godaddy.com, since mycustomdomain.com isn't resolved yet, which means mycustomdomain.com must be resolved first by godaddy to the host ip, so the nameserver(which is hosted on iweb) IP could be recognized. in short, how make mycustomdomain.com(on goddady) can be resolved into my dedicated server IP(on iweb) so my nameserver(on iweb) will also run as it should be?

* mycustomdomain.com is just an example