The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver IP Won't Change

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by fshagan, Jan 22, 2012.

1. fshagan

fshagan Member

My VPS running cPanel DNSONLY, serving as my "ns1.hostkabob.com" name server, has been moved by the host and has a new IP address.

The former IP was 216.189.1.149. Hostname was onion.hostkabob.com.

The new IP is 206.253.166.8. Hostname is onion.hostkabob.com.

I have changed the name server IP address at my registrar, and intoDNS: hostkabob.com - check DNS server and mail server health confirms it is fetching the right IP address from a.gtld-servers.net.

I cannot change the IP address in WHM. Here is what I have tried:

1. DNS Funtions > Edit DNS Zone: Edited my host domain, hostkabob.com, so the A records for hostname "onion.hostkabob.com" has the correct IP address, and changed the NS1 name server entry to have the right IP address.

2. Server Configuration > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup: Clicked the "Add an A Entry" for the NS1 name server. It comes up with the old IP address, but then reports success in adding an A entry with the new IP address.

-- However, DNS Functions > Nameserver IPs still shows the old IP address

3. Logged in using SSH and edited /var/cpanel/nameserverips.yaml (after backing it up.)

-- At this point, DNS Functions > Nameserver IPs shows the new IP address

In Configure Cluster, I deleted the old "onion.hostkabob.com" entry and tried to add a new server, first using the old access key, then a new one. In both cases, the error message I get when trying to add the "onion.hostkabob.com" (by domain) is "cannot connect to <old IP address>". When I put in the new IP address instead of the domain, it connects.

However, the cluster will not sync as it cannot "find route to host". I suspect there is an A record somewhere that is still pointing to the old server. IN fact, if I run /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updatenameserverips, the IP address reverts to the old one.

Where should I look to fix this?

2. fshagan

fshagan Member

Well, finally the domain "onion.hostkabob.com" showed up as a separate DNS zone entry, and I found it had the old IP address in it. I changed it, and deleted /var/cpanel/nameserverips.yaml and .cache, and it seems to be OK now. At least, the DNS cluster is able to log in and sync all the records.

3. cPanelTracey

cPanelTracey Member
    Staff Member

I'm glad to hear that your DNS cluster is now reflecting correct information for onion.hostkabob.com. Since you mention that you had previously tried to correct the IPs assocated with nameservers through the Nameserver IPs page, I wanted to clarify the intended behavior of the page.

The functionality of the "Nameserver IPs" page was changed in 11.30. It is now a report, and not a page meant to configure any aspect of DNS. It reports the nameservers used by zones on the server, as well as a count of the the number of zones that use a given nameserver.

The nameserverips.yaml file is automatically updated, and not meant to be altered by hand. The script /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updatenameserverips populates that file automatically. This script retrieves the information it populates the yaml file with by scanning the zones on the server for NS records, then using /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/quickdnslookup to get the IP.

The correct way of updating the information on Nameserver IPs is through the "Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" page, and to ensure a proper DNS configuration. If the Nameserver IPs page is presenting incorrect information when DNS is set up correctly, this is a bug and should be reported via a support ticket.

4. fshagan

fshagan Member

Thanks, Tracey!