The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver ips wrong

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ucastrejon, Sep 7, 2011.

1. ucastrejon

ucastrejon Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

When I check my nameserver ip's in networkin setup I can see both ip's are wrong, but if I check dns zones they're ok, also in etc/nameserverips

Can you help me?

Thanks

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello ucastrejon,

The file /etc/nameserverips is no longer used to populate WHM's Nameserver IPs area. Also, that area is simply for display purposes and does not set IP nor nameserver functionality in any way.

If you want to update the display of that section, you can edit the /var/cpanel/nameserverips.yaml file to do so.

Thanks!

3. cPanelTracey

cPanelTracey Member
    Staff Member

We had received clarification on the Nameserver IPs feature, and the nameserverips.yaml file from our developers. I wanted to share this to clarify the intended behavior.

The functionality of the "Nameserver IPs" page was changed in 11.30. It is now a report, and not a page meant to configure any aspect of DNS. It reports the nameservers used by zones on the server, as well as a count of the the number of zones that use a given nameserver.

The nameserverips.yaml file is automatically updated, and not meant to be altered by hand. It is a cache file, rather than a configuration file. Neither should the /etc/nameserverips file be altered manually. The script /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updatenameserverips populates the yaml file automatically. This script retrieves the information it populates the yaml file with by scanning the zones on the server for NS records, then using /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/quickdnslookup to get the IP.

The correct way of updating the information on Nameserver IPs is through the "Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" page, and to ensure a proper DNS configuration. If the Nameserver IPs page is presenting incorrect information when DNS is set up correctly, this is a bug and should be reported via a support ticket.

4. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Tracey for your explanation why not to use /etc/nameserveripsfor editing nameserver IPs.
    I have bookmarked this thread. :)

5. electron33

electron33 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Is /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updatenameserverips supposed to run every time an account is created/terminated?

My new server doesn't seem to be doing this automatically and only when I run the script manually I get the correct count.