The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver issue

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by fog, Oct 6, 2004.

1. fog

fog Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a server I am trying to get rid of. I want to move all the clients on it to one of my other machines. The old server is ns1.host.com and ns2.host.com let's say and the new one I want the clients on is ns3.host.com and ns4.host.com.

Can I move the data over using WHM and then simply change the IP that ns1.host.com and ns2.host.com point to to the ones that ns3.host.com and ns4.host.com point to? So there is no downtime...

If I cannot have 4 nameservers pointing to only 2IPs... can I do it another way? Each server has 10 IPs in total. 8 of which are unused. Please help.

2. fog

fog Well-Known Member

Please someone help :)

3. Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

two options either setup ns1.host.com ns2.host .com on the new server (using new IPs) and if they are both cpanel which I take it they are then copy accounts over using feature in WHM. On old server edit the dns records for the nameservers and change the IPs to point to the IPs on the new server, change the IP information on the nameserver records with your registrar and wait a couple of days to make sure things propagate. Also change the dns for the accounts to point to the IPs on the new server (this can take some time).
    (check the stats on the news server to make sure traffic is landing correctly)

If all ok suspend accounts on old server and wait, if everything keeps working then you have successfully completed the transfer. If you have dynamic sites with databases you may need to check and make sure that the information is carried accross you shuld also copy the mail folders over as they inevitably leave something behind.

Option two copy all accounts over and run under ns3.host.com and ns4.host.com edit DNS and point Namserver IPs over to the new server IPs for NS3 & NS4 also change the dns for the accounts to point to the IPs on the new server.

You will get errors in the logs as ns1 & ns2 dont exist but because the requests are pointing to the nameservers and the domains exist on the server traffic will end up in the right place.

For all accounts you then have to get them to change the namserver information from ns1, ns2 to ns3,ns4 after they have done that and propagation happens you can shut down the accounts on the old server and clean up.

Either way this will take a week for things to settle down and propagate accross the network, as soon as you edit the DNS records on the old server and point everything to the new server all traffic will be working on the new server.

4. fog

fog Well-Known Member

This option will not work because I cannot have all the folks on the machine change their dns in time. I need to do this without any downtime and without the domain owners having to do anything.

5. Trigger

if you use the first option you can do it account by account.
    Set up the ns1 and ns2 nameservers on the new server using new IPs.
    Then copy over an account, edit the dns for that account and for the A record change the ip to the new ip on the new server also change the IP for the FTP and the MX entry. After you do that the account will be working on the new server.

Do this for all accounts.

when you are finished change the ip addresses for the name servers at your registrar.

DNS changes will propagate, in all cases any trafic for the domain mail or ftp will be redirected to the new server until the DNS change fully propagates this can take up to 5 days for all caches to update and you have no downtime.

I know, this is how I did it when I moved servers my customers did not even realise they had been moved to a different server, if you have ssl on any accounts then these will need new certificates but for normal accounts no other changes need to be made. The Name server information does not have to be updated for any account because they all have ns1 and ns2 and you change the IPs at your registrar.

6. fog

fog Well-Known Member

Say ns1.host.com points to 1.1.1.1 and ns2.host.com points to 2.2.2.2

Can ns3.host.com point to 1.1.1.1 and ns4.host.com point to 2.2.2.2 as well?

7. Trigger

Yes but first you must go into WHM and under ServerSetup - Tweak Setings - System check Allow sharing Nameserver Ips.

This will stop any errors being reported.