The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver listed in SOA record illegal??

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jez9999, Aug 23, 2005.

1. jez9999

jez9999 Well-Known Member

I've been looking over and over the default DNS zone files created by cPanel and reading again and again about DNS, and I can't seem to work this out so I'm resorting to asking it here.

In the SOA record for my domains, cPanel defaults to putting in ns1.domain.com, where domain.com is a domain hosted on my server; as it happens, this machine is acting as its own nameserver. However, I read that it's *illegal*, according to the specification, for this entry not to have a corresponding A record. Well, it doesn't have a corresponding A record, in the same file at least. The only way to get the IP address of ns1.domain.com is to ask something like A.GTLD-SERVERS.net. and that has it, because I registered the IPs of the nameservers with my registrar.

I don't understand whether the nameserver specified in the SOA record is meant to have a corresponding A record in the *same zone file* or just somewhere on the Internet. I read something about 'glue' somewhere, but didn't understand it. :) Anyone care to explain?

2. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

You need to specify valid primary and secondary nameservers in WHM>>EDIT SETUP and assigned them valid IP. These must be registered with your registrar ...then at the time of of account creation these nameservers will be added in zone file.

3. jez9999

jez9999 Well-Known Member

Ahh, completely missed the option to add an A record for the nameservers in the config. Thanks!