The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver Loop issue

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by bmett, Dec 10, 2012.

1. bmett

bmett Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Following scenario: We finally decided to run our own 2 DNS only server for our websites. At the moment we use some old external nameserver which originates from a different company. It always worked so we didnt bother changing it. Now we are getting bigger and want our own dedicated nameservers.
    we have 5 webserver and 2 new dedicated DNS serrver with cPanel DNS only installed and running. The cluster is set up correctly and all webserver sync their Zone changes (and new zones) to the 2 nameserver.

For a test we set up cnames ns3.ourdomain.com.au and ns4.ourdomain.com.au and point them to the nameservers. We also set the childnameserver (glue namerserver) at our registrar for ourdomain.com.au.

We create a website and point the websites nameserver to ns3 and ns4.domainname.com.au.

I expected it to work straight away. The new nameservers do have the correct zones which point to the correct webserver IP address, but for some reason it doesnt work!

The best debug information I got is from mxtoolbox.com: It looks like there is some kind of loop happening:

Selection_106.png

(I deleted the actual IP addresses and domain names, hope thats ok)

As you can see on the transcript on step 0, the correct nameservers are found (ns3 and ns4).

On step 1 ns3 is queried at the correct IP address, but the referrals are strange and point back to m.au, n.au, o.au etc. This creates the loop (i suspect).

The same happens on the other nameserver.

Why do my nameserver (on step 2 and 3) dont give out referrals to the correct IP address, but to these weird global ones (n.au, m.au ...) The zone is definitely on the nameservers. I found it inside /var/named/

I hope I just missed some tiny step here. Probably on the setup of the nameserver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Björn

2. bmett

bmett Well-Known Member

Nobody can help here?

3. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    you have everything blocked out in your image but i think you have your name servers pointed to multiple ip's