The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver name is an addon domain - now I need to delete the parent account

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by just-me, Apr 27, 2013.

1. just-me

just-me Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi All,

My first post so please understand.

Ok, I have a server I administer and I mistakenly selected my nameserver domain name as an existing add-on domain on one of the accounts on the server. It has been running fine in this configuration for nearly a year.

But now I need to delete the parent account and my question is, can I do this and create a new account with the nameserver domain in it's own account without messing up the DNS on the whole server?

I believe it should be ok as the DNS is IP dependent, however I was stupid enough to select an add-on domain as a nameserver name, so I better not trust my instinct on this.

Please, someone who knows about this stuff, let me know how to deal with this.

Cheers

just-me

2. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes that should work just fine, if you make sure that the new DNS zone includes the same A records for the nameservers (and server's hostname).

Of course there will be