The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nameserver on server failed

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by c0re, Dec 9, 2011.

1. c0re

c0re Registered

Hey everyone!

Hopefully somebody can help me out here! I've been experiencing issues with a dedicated server with cPanel installed lately. More specifically, the server has been sending messages about the nameserver service failing. Shortly thereafter the whole system crashes, but before it does, spits out the following via email:

When I check /var/log/messages (this time anyways) this is what I see:

In fact, before that, there are MANY more messages about SELinux but in the interest of brevity I did not include them. At this point, I'm not sure what to do though.

I did try running 'setenforce 0' in case SElinux was causing a problem but that doesn't seem to disable it. It shouldn't be doing much though, as it's currently configured as follows (this is pulled after running setenforce 0)

At this point, I'm not sure where else to start looking. The hosting provider simply won't provide us with any support. They are scheduled to run hardware diagnostics over the weekend, but the server is now crashing every 2 days, and we have many critical services hosted on it!

Cheers,
    Corey

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please try disabling SELinux completely using the following steps:

1) Edit /etc/selinux/config and change the SELINUX line to:

Code:
    SELINUX=disabled
    2) Reboot your system.

Once the reboot is complete, run the following command to confirm SELinux is disabled:

Code:
    # sestatus
    Thank you.

3. c0re

c0re Registered

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply! I had actually done that last night but didn't reboot. The server decided to reboot for me, however, and were were down another 4.5 hours overnight. We'll see if SElinux being disabled will help the issue.

Out of curiosity, what would be the best log files to look at to diagnose issues like this? Where would logs about the nameserver service be? That fails every single time before the server crashes and is far too deterministic to be a coincidence I think.

I've been looking at cPanel's /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log as well as the Linux /var/log/messages primarily up until now.

EDIT: Additionally,does this mean anything to anyone:

#3 c0re, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When using BIND as your DNS server daemon, the following log file can be used to check for errors related to the service:

Code:
    /var/log/messages
    Thank you.

5. Backlayer

Backlayer Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i have the same problem, can somebody tell me what this means?

Thanks in Advance.

6. cyberchimps

cyberchimps Member

I would also like to resurrect this thread as I am having a similar issue. Here is part the output of my /var/log/messages

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.