The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver Problem

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Mike3d, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Mike3d

Mike3d Member

Forgive me if this is something easy as im fairly new to the whole whm/server area.

Ive just bought some new ip addresses and binded them but now when i go in to "Nameserver Ip's" there is ns2.namohost.com which is nothing i have added or even know of, and when i try to remove it, its reports, Cannot be removed as it is still registering with ICANN.

Anybody got any ideas what it is?, how it got there?, and how to get rid of the darn thing! lol

Thanks

2. netkinetics

netkinetics Well-Known Member

Home is Baltimore, MD - Currently in the Philippin
    take it out of /etc/nameserverips and restart cpanel (/etc/init.d/cpanel restart).

Then ping the IP and see if it replies as ns2.namohost.com .. if so , have your DC reverse the IP correctly. (i.e. so the ptr matches the nameserver host you wish to setup) or just reverse it to your server's hostname. Some DC's give you a small control panel to adjust the ptr's of your own IP addresses.

You can also put an entry in /etc/hosts to stop cpanel from complaining about it in the future, just add ns.whatever.com as a known host for whichever ip you're using.

HTH :)

3. Mike3d

Mike3d Member

Sorry for the newbie question (again :( ) but how do i get access to that? i cant log in to the server as root via FTP as for some reason it doesnt let me. :(

Also when i get there, and remove it, to restart cpanel do i just enter that url in to IE?

Sorry if all these questions are easy, but like i said im new to it all but i really want to learn about it all as i dont want to be another one of the "here today, gone tomorrow" hosts.

#3 Mike3d, Feb 9, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  4. Mike3d

Mike3d Member

has anyone got any light they can shed on this

5. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Netkinetics gave you the info to sort but sounds like you need more remedial help.

Assuming you have root access to the box in question then those files are edited by accessing your server using an SSH client program.

The tutorial site I would normally suggest for you seems to be down at the moment (at least from this location).
    http://www.webhostgear.com

If you want to PM me I'll see about helping you.

6. Mike3d

Mike3d Member

thanks sawbuck, ive just opened up that site it seems to be working ok for me.

Ill have a browse through and see if i can find the tutorial that your talking about. Thanks alot for your help :cool:

7. Mike3d

Mike3d Member

Right ive got a bit of bad news!

Ive removed it from nameserverips and rebooted cpanel but now all the accounts on ns1.pcsmarthosting.com and ns2.pcsmarthosting.com dont work. Ive checked in nameserverips and they are all on the correct ip address etc.

This is quite a pest as ive had people on to me already asking why its down. So if anyone has a clue.... :confused:

Thanks in advance

8. 24x7team

24x7team Well-Known Member

To be frank, these nameservers are the namservers which have been setup on this server by the old owner of the box.

This cannot be removed until the Ip address is removed for the nameservers at the registrar end.

Contact or ask your DC to contact them for removal at the registrar.
    Once removed and DNS propagates, it can removed from WHM too.

Till then you can use the same IP address asthat nameservers to your nameservers too. This will not affect anything....

9. Mike3d

Mike3d Member

thanks guys i managed to work this out eventually! Thanks very much for ya help! :)

10. djbob2

djbob2 Well-Known Member

I have tried this, but as soon as I access the Nameserver IPs function in WHM cPanel resets everything. The old domain of my server is a certain "lsun.com," that doesn't seem to have a legitimate owner. What should I do? Is there any possible way to fix this myself?

cPanel won't let me. It says that you cannot use a single IP for two nameservers.

PS: Sorry for necromancing, but its better than starting a whole new topic on the subject!