The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nameserver problems

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by cwarn23, Aug 8, 2009.

1. cwarn23

cwarn23 Registered

Hi, I have just got a vps with whm and although it mostly seems easy to get around and administrate, I am having 1 simple problem. Each time I attempt to set the nameserver the progress bar goes into an infinit loop meaning will never finnish. One of the tutorials I tried following is at
    https://support.steadfast.net/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=pdfexport&kbarticleid=33 and I get stuck just before where it says Important at the beginning of the line.
    To explain more clearly, I first enter the 2 nameservers into basic setup and save configurations. Then I click the "Assign IP address" button and a new window popups with a progress bar. But that is all that happens for at least the next 8 hours and I ended up closing it after 8 hours as it seemed it was taking infinit time to finish. I hope this community can help because I have tried 2 other communities and not a single reply. Thanks in advance.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Are you sure the nameserver(s) resolve properly? You might check there first. Certainly your VPS provider can help sort this out with/for you.

3. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

I had a same problem. I need to enter nameservers IP addresses in /etc/nameserverips file manually.

4. cwarn23

cwarn23 Registered

That was quick time at replying.
    I have already tried contacting my vps provider but since I have the keys to the tools I'm the one that needs to fix it up. And on Infopro's comment, I thought assigning an ip address to a nameserver created the nameserver. I'm guessing that I was wrong. I also tried adding an a entry but when I set the nameservers for cwarn23.info to ns1.cwarn23.info and ns2.cwarn23.info (but using the ip addresses instead of dynamic names) an error pops up saying that the ip addresses used are not valid nameservers. So does anybody know how to setup the 2 nameservers from scratch as I'm terribly lost in the woods here.

#4 cwarn23, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  5. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

I have posted long details how to setup nameservers in a previous post roughly about a month ago but as it takes me longer to type such instructions than it does for me to just go do it for you.

On that note, I'd suggest one of two possibilities ...

1. Search my previous posts for nameserver setup instructions

2. Contact me by private message and I'll be happy to set this up for you
    complimentary just because it'll save me time typing.

EDIT: TheWebHosting, same goes for you ;)

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The domain name you're using for the nameservers, is it setup at your domain name registrar to be a nameserver and resolve properly?
    intodns.com/cwarn23.info

Once it's setup at your registrar properly, you can set it up on the server properly.

7. cwarn23

cwarn23 Registered

almost

That is a perfect example of what I have already done but the last step of going to my registerar and setting the two nameservers for my domain to ns1.cwarn23.info and ns2.cwarn23.info, it just reports a blank error message and keeps the previously assigned nameservers. So does anybody know why the registerar won't accept my nameservers? Also I can see all of the nameservers configured properly in the whm dns management (and basic setup) so would it be a security risk to send a screen capture of the dns management so you can see what the configuration looks like as it appears to be what many tutorials describe and all those tutorials describe the same thing. Thanks.

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    No need to post a picture. ;)

You'll have to ask them to assist if you're not able to edit something properly.

GL

9. cwarn23

cwarn23 Registered

Solved

I just contacted support about the issue and this time they helped fix the problem within minutes which was a much better experience then the first attempt to contact them. Turned out that somehow the dns was in a loop with itself. So all is fixed and thanks for the help as the other two website forums haven't replied at all so this is truely the place for cpanel and whm.
    Thanks for the great help to all those involved.