The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver Question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by bleucheese, Sep 22, 2005.

1. bleucheese

bleucheese Member

Sep 21, 2005
    I recently setup a dedicated server that I will be administrating for a number of companies. Great setup. I have gotten the name server configured and provided I have the Nameserver IP in my DNS entries I can simply use the name. If I do not use the IP, and use the ISP(SBC) nameservers I can not access using name, only IP works. Also, I have a registered domain with network solutions and I pointed the IP at NS to the correct IP on my server. That works great.

Do I need to make some DNS entries on my datacenters nameserver or will my nameserver and new sites I create slowly transfer through the net? If DNS entries are not needed would it help speed the nameserving process?

I only ask you guys because hosting companies tend to answer the question in their favor.

Thanks All! Love the Manager! I have been a windows user, although now I think I have the tools and knowledge to move onto Linux.