The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver Questions

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by robobobo, Jan 4, 2013.

1. robobobo

robobobo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hey guys,

I know there's been many topics and guides on setting up nameservers, and I'm pretty sure I know how to do it now, but I just have a few questions.

I know I've to register the nameservers where my domain is registered (not where it's hosted right?)

Then I follow the steps to add the nameservers in WHM.

However, I currently have lots of sites on the server, and it's using my current hosts nameservers, hence why I want to add my own custom namservers so I can make dns changes etc.. as I currently have to do this through my hosts tedious website control panel and I'm starting to resell accounts as well so have to have this in place

My question is this:

If I add in the custom nameservers to WHM, will this override the current hosts nameservers? Will I have to go and log into all my domain registrar accounts and change the nameservers to point to the new ones?

Once I add in the new nameservers will this send all the sites offline until their respective nameservers have been updated?

Thanks for your help

2. hgrg

hgrg Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @robobobo:
    Here is what I'd do:
    1. set up your own nameservers and wait till. your changes are delegated (other ns servers 'know' that your nsx.domain.etc and nsy.domain.etc are pointing to your ip1 and ip2.
    2. add your dns servers to all zones over your domain providers interface. also lower TTL
    3. check everything is working fine, if you make query's like this: nslookup [domain] [yournameserver]
    you get the expected responses from all over the world :)
    4. double check everything :)
    5.remove the old nameservers (and edit the zones files SOA records also)
    6. check everything again.
    Also I'd advise you to try this first with one domain only and then make the mass changes when you are sure about all this :)
    Good luck!

3. robobobo

robobobo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hey hgrg,

Thanks for your reply, ok so I think I get what you mean.

I'm right is saying that I can add my new nameservers to WHM, while leaving the current hosts ones in place?

Then as I change the nameserver records with each registrar for the domains, they'll move over to the appropriate nameserver?

Thanks for you help!

4. hgrg

hgrg Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @robobobo:
    The reason I've written this is that this way you can avoid most of the downtime (your nameservers are going to be cached as authoritive ones already..

5. robobobo

robobobo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Ok, but the question I really want to know, is it ok for me to add my new nameservers into WHM while leaving the current ones in place until I have everything set up and ready to move over?

Or do I have to get rid of the current nameservers before adding the new ones?