The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver Questions

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ukhost, Nov 16, 2002.

1. ukhost

ukhost Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,

I have a question about nameservers that I hope someone can answer.

We currently have our server setup to use:

ns1.ourdoman.com
    ns2.ourdomain.com

Now we would like to change the nameservers to:

ns1.otherdomain.com
    ns2.otherdomain.com

and use the new nameservers for all of our servers, however we then want to set our original nameservers to work accross all servers as our personal nameservers.

Baically we wish to change the main nameservers so that they are annonymous this way our resellers can use either there own or our annon ones!

We then wish to have our current nameservers as our own private ones but they need to work accross all servers also.

Hope you can follow and maybe shed some light on how easy/hard this will be, maybe even how to do it?

Thanks,

Neil

2. ukhost

ukhost Well-Known Member

Also, If I setup the dns from one server and setup trust relationships between them all can I only allocate IP's from that server to resellers or can I still allocate the IP's from the other servers?

Example:
    reseller 1 is on server 1 using ip's from server 1
    reseller 2 is on server 2 using ip's from server 2

Kind Regards,

Neil

3. Shikha

Shikha Member

Hello,

We are also looking for answer to same question, but we have both the NameServers on one server only.

If you find out the way, please let us know. I will also tell you once, I get the way.

Thanks.

Shikha

4. ukhost

ukhost Well-Known Member

Hi thaphantom,

The only problem with 3 is that our own reseller account would only have access to one server and the nameservers for that reseller account would only work on the one server!

We need to have both our anon nameservers and our private nameservers working accross all servers.

The other problem is with IP addresses, if we setup one set of nameservers to work accross all servers can we only assign IP's off the primary server to the reseller or can we still allocat reseller on server 2 ip's on server 2?

Kind Regards,

Neil

5. ukhost

ukhost Well-Known Member

Hi,

Okay, I have been informed that if we setup ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com on server one then link all other servers to that we can not use assign the IP's on the other servers to the resellers or accounts on those servers, we can only assign them IP's on the server that is running the DNS is this true?

Kind Regards,

Neil

6. ukhost

ukhost Well-Known Member

Not quite what I was getting at, will try to explain a little clearer.

For the purpose of this all servers are brand new, no accounts setup at all yet.

We have ns1.ourdomain.com & ns2.ourdomain.com set up ready to go.

Each server is nameed serverX.ourdomain.com, X being that servers number.

server1.ourdomain.com has the namservers ns1 & ns2 setup, each subsequent server has the master namserver section setup with a trust relationship between the servers.

Each server has it's own IP address pool.

If we set it up so we have one server as a master server and all other servers as slave servers can we still utilise the IP's on the slave servers for the accounts on those servers?

Kind Regards,

Neil

7. ukhost

ukhost Well-Known Member

Hi,

So I can not create a reseller on server 2 and sign them IP's on server 2?

Kind Regards,

Neil