Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Nameserver Selection - Bind, PowerDNS or NSD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by celiac101, Nov 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. celiac101

celiac101 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am hoping to speed up my server. I am currently hosting my DNS and using Bind. It took me quite a while to correctly tweak all the DNS/Zone files so that I have no errors. I have a couple of questions:

1) If I switch from Bind to PowerDNS or NSD will it create new zone files, or somehow alter my current ones? My hope is that it will use the exiting ones, but I really have no idea what switching away from Bind would change.

2) As long as I have a resolver set up it looks like I can use PowerDNS or NSD, is one considered better for performance than the other?

3) Any other things I need to consider before switching?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @celiac101,

Your existing DNS zones will remain in-tact and active upon switching to a different name server. No manual steps or changes are required.

You'd want to use external resolvers (e.g. a resolver from your data center or a public resolver such as 8.8.8.8) in your /etc/resolv.conf file if you switch to PowerDNS or NSD. Performance can vary depending on the amount of domains you host and your server's hardware. You could always try out both to see which one performs better on your server.

I recommend PowerDNS over NSD due to the built in support for DNSSEC that comes with PowerDNS.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. celiac101

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Are there mandatory settings in pdns.conf that I need to change? It looks like the default file.

Also, the service seems to be running, but when I restart the DNS server now I see this:

Waiting for “pdns” to restart ………waiting for “pdns” to initialize ………finished.

Service Status
    pdns (/usr/sbin/pdns_server --daemon) is running as named with PID 26129 (systemd+/proc check method).

Startup Log
    Nov 07 10:31:32 server1.domain.com pdns[26129]: binding UDP socket to '0.0.0.0:53': Permission denied
    Nov 07 10:31:32 server1.domain.com pdns[26129]: binding UDP socket to '0.0.0.0:53': Permission denied
    Nov 07 10:31:32 server1.domain.com pdns[26129]: Unable to reuse port, falling back to original bind
    Nov 07 10:31:32 server1.domain.com pdns[26129]: Unable to reuse port, falling back to original bind

Log Messages
    Nov 7 10:31:32 server1 pdns[26129]: Unable to reuse port, falling back to original bind
    Nov 7 10:31:32 server1 pdns[26129]: binding UDP socket to '0.0.0.0:53': Permission denied
    Nov 7 10:31:32 server1 pdns[26129]: Unable to reuse port, falling back to original bind
    Nov 7 10:31:32 server1 pdns[26129]: binding UDP socket to '0.0.0.0:53': Permission denied

4. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @celiac101,

There's no requirement to modify the default PDNS configuration settings.

This suggests another service is already running on port 53, and I've been unable to reproduce this error when switching to PowerDNS on a test system. Can you verify if this is still happening? If so, can you post the output from the command below?

Code:
    netstat -lnp | grep :53
    Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. celiac101

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    # netstat -lnp | grep :53

Code:
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:53              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      8553/pdns_server
    tcp6       0      0 :::53                   :::*                    LISTEN      8553/pdns_server
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:53              0.0.0.0:*                           8553/pdns_server
    udp6       0      0 :::53                   :::*                                8553/pdns_server

I see the errors whenever I restart the DNS Server. This link:
    github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/4180
    pdns_server always logging "Unable to bind UDP socket..." · Issue #4180 · PowerDNS/pdns

indicates it may be normal, but I'm just not sure. It says:

"service pdns monitor starts a foregrounded pdns_server, and before that you already start a backgrounded pdns_server using systemctl start pdns. Only one instance can run at one time..."

#5 celiac101, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  6. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @celiac101,

While it might not cause any problems as far as functionality, I'm not able to reproduce that output when restarting PDNS on a test system. Can you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look to see why it's happening on your server? You can post the ticket number here and we'll update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

7. celiac101

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    After a server restart, this issue went away.

I guess the main question I still have is can I improve performance by editing the conf file for PowerDNS? I went through their site in detail and made changes to the conf as they recommended, but it actually seemed to greatly slow things down.

8. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi @celiac101,

You are welcome to tune the configuration file, but it's a good idea to consult with a system administrator if you need help with specific performance-related tuning advice. We provide a list of companies offering system administration services at:

System Administration Services | cPanel Forums

Thank you.