The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver Strategy

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by coppershadow, Sep 25, 2007.

1. coppershadow

coppershadow Member

Hi. I run a hosting service with existing customers. We are moving away from our custom control panel to cPanel.

I have 2 DNS (BIND) servers that contain the zones for the existing non-cPanel customers. I am coming for advice on the best way to integrate the new cPanel server into this setup.

I see the "Establish A Trust Relationship With a Primary Nameserver" option in WHM. I assume the primary server described here is another cPanel server. Am I right here?

Can I setup the cPanel DNS Only product on the existing nameservers and use the Add a Zone DNS function for these non-cPanel zones? (the idea is to eventually migrate everyone to cPanel) It would be data-entry for about 25 domains. And will this cause problems down the road when I make accounts for these clients on the cPanel server?

Should I forget integration and make the cPanel server its own primary and run this DNS service in parallel with my current servers? (I'd like to avoid having 4 nameservers if possible)

Are there other scenerios that will make the transition easy. (i.e. BIND forward zones?)

Thanks.
    Brian

2. coppershadow

coppershadow Member

Replying to myself... :)

I ended up backing up my named.conf and zone files on my existing BIND servers and installed DNSOnly. It converted the zone paths a little bit and kept the named.conf in place. With a little bit of zone file path tweaking it's all working.

Before I convert an existing account to cPanel I manually delete the zone out of the old BIND servers. Even though the old zones don't show up in the DNSOnly GUI, WHM will detect the domain if I don't do this step. Between this and finding /scripts/rebuildnamedconf I've managed to get it working well.

I setup DNS clustering to push changes from my cPanel server to the published nameservers. It is conceptually like a blind master setup even though DNSOnly/WHM manages each BIND instance as its own master server.

The last little thing is that DNSOnly installs just like WHM would. It adjusts permissions on binaries like su as part of its security process. You'll have to chmod it back if you depend on it.

In summary, I can only recommend this process if you're comfortable with how linux and BIND work.