The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver Time To Live blank - ok?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by BearHead, May 24, 2007.

1. BearHead

BearHead Registered

New server - Domain and Nameserver Time To Live are both blank. Is that ok?

2. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

You need to provide some detailed information so that anyone from forums can guide you.

3. BearHead

BearHead Registered

Ok..... I'll expand the question.

In the Webhost Manager of my new server, under Basic CPanel/WHM Setup, there is an option to add a Domain Time to Live and Nameserver Time to Live. Both fields are currently blank. If I don't add anything to it, will it affect anything negatively? Or would it be better to add something in?

I checked my old server and the settings were also blank. I have no idea if I was missing out on something, lol.

So all I want to know is :
    New server - Domain and Nameserver Time To Live are both blank. Is that ok?

4. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

On my servers, Domain Time To Live is set to 14400 and Nameserver Time To Live is set to 86400. These are the default values. You need to edit any DNS zone file to see that what values are being added in it. If the values are being added in the DNS zone files then its fine otherwise you can add the values to both fields.

5. BearHead

BearHead Registered

Great, that's what my dns zone file looks like.

Thanks for your help!

6. Mindlash

Mindlash Well-Known Member

Follow-up question.

If changing these values in WHM, will this be an instantly-made server-wide change (essentially modifying all domainname.db files) or will this only affect newly added domains from the point of change/update?

The reason why I am interested is due to a server migration. It would be great if this were server-wide changes upon change as it would allow me to made very low TTL's for an easy migration, then once moved over, change them all back to lessen the load from frequent queries.

Thanks!