The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver, where do i find that?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by SM411, Jun 15, 2008.

1. SM411

SM411 Registered

Hi. I just got my first VPS with cPanel. I have figured out almost everything i need but not what a nameserver is. I also wonder where i find the ip of the nameserver i should use. I got a vps from http://cheapvps.co.uk/

Sm411

2. UBERHOST

UBERHOST Well-Known Member

How many IPs did your host provide? If you have at least two IPs then you can use the first IP as your primary nameserver as well as your shared IP, then use the other one for your secondary nameserver. Certainly your host advised you of your IP range?

Edit: I just looked at your host's site. They probably assigned you just one IP for now, but they say they will give another IP with justification. Tell them you need one more IP to use as your secondary nameserver.

Of course, all this is assuming you even want to run your own nameservers.

#2 UBERHOST, Jun 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  3. SM411

SM411 Registered

i got no experience with webservers at all, so is it possible to not host your own nameserver?

4. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

Its fairy easy to setup. Do some searching, I'm sure they are many guides out there on how to setup a cpanel server.