The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameserver woes

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by alverdeja, Mar 2, 2015.

1. alverdeja

alverdeja Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not sure where else to ask this question but hopefully I'm in the right place :eek:.

Back Story
    I'm a web design with little to no experience as a web host manager beyond basic cPanel functions. A client of mine got a dedicated server for his site and and needed me to set the nameservers up. After a lot of running back and forth, I discovered that he pays GoDaddy for the domain, but somehow the nameservers are registered with a company named - removed -. I was able to resolve the nameservers on - Removed - to his dedicate servers IP, but this brings me to my question(s).

The Question
    How can I remove the nameservers from - Removed - and put them on GoDaddy, and have them resolve to the dedicated servers IP address? :confused:

#1 alverdeja, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You'd need to contact that company about changing the nameservers settings for that domain.

3. alverdeja

alverdeja Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the speedy reply, Infopro. The company with whom the nameservers are registered with, - Removed - seem to have gone dormant[/B]. I submitted a help ticket a few months ago and never heard back. Would this be the only solution?

- - - Updated - - -

I did, however, change the DNS settings so that the nameservers registered with that company redirect to my clients servers. What I'm wondering is how can I cut them out of the picture all together.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That should do it I would think.

If the domains are registered with GoDaddy and pointed to that other company, changing your settings at GoDaddy to point the domain anywhere else, should take care of it.

5. alverdeja

alverdeja Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's it! For some reason, GoDaddy was set to use custom nameservers(pointing to the ones on the 3rd part company). I switched the preferences so that the domain would use GoDaddy's NS and that seemed to have done the trick.
    Thanks for your help, Infopro!