The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameservers, can't modify?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by codenected, Sep 23, 2012.

1. codenected

codenected Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm attempting to setup a new cpanel server and I honestly haven't done this in a few years and have noticed that a few things have changed.

The part that I'm stuck on is the nameservers. Apparently I cannot clearly define which nameserver IP's I want to use? By default, CPanel is using the shared ip for the server, which I do not want.

Before, in the "Basic cPanel & WHM Setup", I could define which nameservers IP's I want used. Now, there is no option and WHM just selects the IP's for me. What kind of communist crap is this?

I've set them manually in /etc/nameserverips, but documentation I've read recently suggests that it should not be done this way as it's populated from a .yaml file now.

Has Cpanel really restricted the ability to clearly define the nameserver IP's?

Additionally, even after CPanel "forces" you to use IP's for nameservers you may not want, why is the nameserver ip list page showing no nameservers? (/cpsess2477501945/scripts2/listassignednsips).

#1 codenected, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. pwhjenny

pwhjenny Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can always define nameservers IP's after installation of the cPanel. If you want to change IP's later, you need to do it manually. Like changing nameservers file and then go to basic cPanel configuration option.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should be able to set the IPs in WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup area by clicking "Add an A entry for this nameserver" After selecting that button next to the nameserver, you'd then enter whatever IP you want into the field for the IP and save it.

If you select the option to automatically assign it instead, you aren't going to be able to define the set IPs.

As for the statement about changing IPs later, that isn't correct that you have to do it manually if that means via the backend. You don't have to do it in the backend. It can always be done in WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup area by adding the A entry.