The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameservers configuration for linux dedicated server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by sachu, May 20, 2011.

1. sachu

sachu Registered

Hello All,

I have some doubts about nameservers configuration for dedicated server.

If I purchased cpanel dedicated server called host.weblinux3231.com(67.111.54.12) for billing and sales sites and we pointed below private nameservers for this server.

ns1.weblinux3231.com (67.111.54.16) its dedicated IP of this server.
    ns2.weblinux3231.com (67.111.54.17) its dedicated IP of this server.

Also,

If I purchase second server called one.weblinux3231.com(66.112.34.14)to host clients site and point below nameservers for this server.

ns3.weblinux3231.com(????)
    ns4.weblinux3231.com(????)

My question is

What will be its nameservers IP?

I mean can I use first servers(host.weblinux3231.com) another dedicated IPs such as 67.111.54.18, 67.111.54.19 for ns3 and ns4??

OR can I use same servers(one.weblinux3231.com) dedicated IP address such as 66.112.34.18,66.112.34.19??

Also what A record or other integration need to do?

Please clear my doubts about this.

And please provide me step by step information.

Thanks,
    Sachin

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Sachin,

You can use whichever IPs you want for the ns3 and ns4 nameservers, although it might be best to use the IPs on the second machine and configure those ns3 and ns4 nameservers on that machine instead.

I'm uncertain what is meant by the question "Also what A record or other integration need to do?" here. The only requirement under cPanel for nameserver setup and configuration is WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup area. There you would input the nameservers being used, then create the A records using the "Add an A entry for this nameserver" button. Please do not use the "Assign IP address" button as this would try to auto pick an IP, and you would want to do that via "Add an A entry for this nameserver" button instead.

Please note that you would still need to go to your domain registrar to create each private nameserver with the IP you will be using before you add those nameservers to WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup area.

Thanks!

3. sachu

sachu Registered

Dear cPanelTristan,

Thanks for your valuable information.

We will create private nameservers at domain registrar end with its IP.

Note that first server is host.weblinux3231.com and second is one.weblinux3231.com but common is its name weblinux3231.com.

my question is

If I point same machines IP address for second servers nameservers(ns3, ns4),

Do we need to add new zone entry with one.weblinux3231.com or ns3.weblinux3231.com or ns4.weblinux3231.com in first servers WHM?

Otherwise please please provide me your steps how to set up nameservers for both servers host.weblinux3231.com and one.weblinux3231.com.

I will leave all my setup and I will do it via as per your steps and suggestion.

Once again thanks u

Regards,
    Sachin