The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameservers don't synchronize

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Dillard, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Dillard

Dillard Well-Known Member

Probably something very stupid, but I just overlook it.

I have a NS1 (master) running RH8 with Bind 9.2.1.

Last weekend we reinstalled NS2 and it's now running FreeBSD 5.1 with Bind 8.3.4 -REL

Both nameservers work, created zones are transfered, but somehow on my FreeBSD box, changes (like an IP change) aren't picked up because:

"Nov 12 11:28:52 bach named[25215]: Zone "pottery.be" (IN) SOA serial# (1065024404) rcvd from [62.212.86.196] is < ours (2003110800)"

Well easy you say, don't you see the SOA serial on my NS2 is higher than on your NS1 and therefor NS2 won't upgrade ? Yes, I noticed :) but in the /var/named/-dir (or actually /etc/namedb on FreeBSD) it's saying the same SOA serial as my NS1-server (so the one with 10 ... instead of the yyyymmddxx)

So somehow somewhere in my FreeBSD NS2 box there is noted that the serialnumbers of the zones don't match up with the actual values in the zonefiles ?!? Hmm, any glues ??

2. Dillard

Nobody ?? Today I tried to upgrade to Bind9 (via ports), as I thaught this might solve my problems, but I didn't manage to get Bind9 to pick up.

All binaries are compiled and installed (in /usr/local/sbin) while all the cpanel-utils are searching for it in /usr/sbin)

Symlinked everything, but this didn't do the trick. No messages whatsoever in the logfiles, so don't know what went wrong. Re-established Bind8, as I need them working at least.

Still, new zones are added but after a reload it won't synchronize the settings from the master DSN server. When quering both nameserver (host -t soa xxxxx.nl ns1 ) they both give the same SOA Serial, but the logfiles gives an other non-existant number.

Does anybody knows where to continue my search ??

3. Dillard

Solved (more or less)

I removed all zones from the slave server, than did the update again, synchronized the two with 'rdc reload' and now it seems to be fine again.

Probably some mix up during the setup of this server ( I think).

Dillard