Sep 11, 2018
Fort Worth
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Elephant, it's spelled Elephant dangit... Oh wait sorry, I spent so long on the sign up page trying to login that I forgot where I was.

Just a quick question, I have a domain registered out thar somewhere that I pointed to my vm instance on GCE in which I have cPanel installed on, and I was wondering, since WHM has all the records in there for the primary hosting domain(my domain) I was wondering if I should change my nameservers from the cloud.google ones to my own inside WHM ns1.mydomain.com and so forth?

Or will that break everything since the VM is using that domain as the base to the instance?

24x7server

Apr 17, 2013
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hi,

You can use your own nameservers if they are pointing to the correct IP and resolving properly to the same IP. Just make sure that the IP is static and does not change with reboot or occasionally.

Reactions: Matthew Thurner
Sep 11, 2018
Fort Worth
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey thanks for the head up @24x7server

Could I pick your brain a little more and ask if when I added a static external IP, it was all like, "you cannot add this IP, this is the address of the network" and then cause I'm stubborn I kept trying with different submasks and BOOM, my license was invalid and I had to run the SSH script to renew my license.

Is that normal? I have one other sever and I never encountered that while adding an IP, so I was thinking maybe I just drew bad out of the great GOOGLE hat of IPs when I reserved the additional.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Just a quick question, I have a domain registered out thar somewhere that I pointed to my vm instance on GCE in which I have cPanel installed on, and I was wondering, since WHM has all the records in there for the primary hosting domain(my domain) I was wondering if I should change my nameservers from the cloud.google ones to my own inside WHM ns1.mydomain.com and so forth?
Hello @Matthew Thurner,

Yes, setting up name servers on the cPanel & WHM is supported. We document how to do this at:

How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

You can use the same IP address that's setup as the server's main shared IP address for one or both name servers. Or, you can use any other public IP address that's assigned to the server.

Could I pick your brain a little more and ask if when I added a static external IP, it was all like, "you cannot add this IP, this is the address of the network" and then cause I'm stubborn I kept trying with different submasks and BOOM, my license was invalid and I had to run the SSH script to renew my license.
The license log should provide some insight into why the license became invalid. It's located at:

/usr/local/cpanel/logs/license_log

Thank you.