The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameservers / main domain

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Spitfired2s, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Spitfired2s

Spitfired2s Member

I've just bought a dedicated server that has WHM / Cpanel, but I havent the slightest clue on howto setup the main domain for the server. I've setup ns1 and ns2.d2sector.net but then how do i point d2sector.net to the server? Having its settings as ns1.d2sector.net and ns2.d2sector.net just seems to me like it would be an endless loop, and i dont want to change it untill i know it'll work.. So in short.. How do i point my domain to my server..

2. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

Just set it to the nameservers you have set up.

the reason this is not an endless loop is because namerserver are not forwarders. They tell the domain which server it runs off of. So when a user heads to your domain - it reaches your server - then apache will determine whether or not your site actually exists but the virtual domains setup in it's httpd.conf file when you create your account for your domain using cPane.

get all that?...

3. Spitfired2s

Spitfired2s Member

Yeah i get all that.. Im getting this error at the moment
    "rndc: connection to remote host closed This may indicate that the remote server is using an older version of the command protocol, this host is not authorized to connect, or the key is invalid. "

EDIT: err. when i try to change my nameservers they just go back to the ones i had previously, also when i goto "initial nameserver setup" or whatever it is.. it just displays the "ok" to activate it message everytime, even after its been started.

#3 Spitfired2s, Dec 18, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2003