The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAMESERVERS, Migrating server questions!!

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by tkoweb, Sep 7, 2003.

1. tkoweb

tkoweb Active Member

Just a quick nameserver question..

I have migrated accounts on one server to a new one in a new facility. All accounts were pointing to the main nameservers of the old server.

What's the best procedure for changing live nameservers? Is there a way to do it without downtime? I can live with the fact that some accounts will need to be transferred again to reflect new data (during the dns change period), but I really don't want downtime.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. asuservice

asuservice Well-Known Member

You can just change them

Hi,
    We just did this to several machines and found there was little to no downtime when we changed them.

When we did it a few sites were not accessible for a few minutes but that was all. If you do it late at night or very early in the morning most clients wont even know it was changed.

One Thing ... IF a domains registrar needs an IP for the ns settings your clients will need to change them.

Also, there is a way to run 2 IP's on one NS ... perhaps someone will be nice enough to tell how that's done.

Hope this helps.

3. tkoweb

tkoweb Active Member

so..

So I just go to the registrar, and edit the registered nameserver to point to a new server, and viola, 48-72 hours later the world will be pointing to the new box.. nothing else to do or change ??

Hope all goes well.