The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameservers not responding to queries

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Hammo, May 26, 2017.

1. Hammo

Hammo Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have recently launched an EC2 instance running the official cPanel/WHM AMI. I will not be running separate instances of cPanel DNSONLY and would like to run BIND on the cPanel/WHM instance.

From my understanding I need to have three separate IP addresses:
    1. Main Server IP
    2. NS1 IP
    2. NS2 IP

I have attached two network interfaces to this instance and have a total of 3 private IP addresses. I have then mapped an elastic IP address to each of the private IP addresses.

At the domain registrar I have created two child nameservers (ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com) and pointed them to two elastic IP addresses attached to my instance.

In WHM I have added these nameservers and created an A record for each nameserver. I can now ping the nameservers.

The issue is that the nameservers are not responding to any DNS requests. The accounts have been created in WHM and the domain names have been configured with the nameservers.

I'd like to know:
    1. Am I configuring everything correctly? If not, what should the configuration be?
    2. If the configuration is correct, why are the nameservers servers not responding to requests?

Please let me know if you require further information.

2. Eminds

Eminds Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Run the DNS report for the domain and the name servers and it will give you an idea of whats wrong. just google dns report and it will give you the tools related to it.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The information you provided suggests your name servers are properly configured. Could you verify which name server you are using in "WHM >> NameServer Selection" (e.g. Bind, PowerDNS)? Also, have you tried restarting the service to see if that helps? EX:

Code:
    /scripts/restartsrv_named
    Thank you.

4. Hammo

Hammo Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @cPanelMichael I am using BIND. I restarted the DNS service through WHM and by running that command but still no luck.

For now I've had to migrate back to my existing hosting infrastructure. I'm going to use a brand new domain name and reconfigure the AWS environment from scratch to see if I can reproduce the issue.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature if the issue persists.

Thank you.