The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nameservers: Now you see them, now you don't.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by schwim, Aug 25, 2008.

1. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Hi there guys,

I set up a new server and it's been up and running for about a week or so. I have an issue that is causing me some distress concerning the nameservers I registered for it though.

A week into it, I'll still have periods of time where I can't access the server due to the domain not being able to resolve. As well, Montastic(a site monitoring service) will still report inability to access the site for an hour or so a couple of times a day.

To be clear, the server is not going down. I can usually get to it via the domain when Montastic reports and at other times, I can't get to it but Montastic says it's up.

I've never had problems with resolving domains this far into a change. Is there something that might be causing the problem? I'm used to my ISP causing problems, which is why I use Montastic as a double-check.

Any suggestions or opinions would be welcome.

thanks,
    json

2. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Playing around with it, I find things more and more curiouser and curiouser.

serverdomain.com was registered two weeks ago and nameservers were created a week ago (ns1.serverdomain.com & ns2.serverdomain.com)

24 hours ago, domain1.com-domain20.com were moved ov3er.

This morning, I can not reach server.serverdomain.com but can reach domain1-domain20.com

I would think that if my ISP can't resolve serverdomain.com, then I wouldn't be able to get to domain1.com-domain20.com, since they use serverdomain.com as they're nameservers.

More confused than ever,
    json

3. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Any suggestions at all or is my query too confusing?

4. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    It would not be be possible to comment on your problem with the available information. One will need the exact domain name and the name servers to make few tests on it. However you can use the link below to check your DNS settings:

http://www.intodns.com

5. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Hi there and thanks for your reply and the link!

I've tested it, and it has some problems, but I'm not sure how I would resolve them.

Link to test.

I asked Chirpy just to glance at my nameserver setup when he installed the security scripts and he said that at a passing glance, it looked ok to him so I assumed that all was ok, but it seems that I have a problem.

My steps:

1 Setup my domain and nameservers on cpanel through basic config
    2 Edited zone to add ns1 & ns2 to domain
    3 hand-edited the nameserver IP list as I hadn't registered the nameservers yet.
    4 registered the nameservers

Totally backwards, I know, but I forgot to register them, hence the reverse order.

I checked and it still lists the correct data. I ran the nameserver IP config script again and it updated the domains to upper-case, so I'm wondering if it's verified them and might resolve my issue?

thanks,
    json

6. MaestriaNick

MaestriaNick Well-Known Member

the two warnings at the intodns link you have given above is because, in the DNS zone for the domain, nameservers are added as

ns1.schwimserver3com and ns2.schwimserver3com (the . (dot) before com is missing ).

correct it to ns1.schwimserver3.com. and ns2.schwimserver3.com

#6 MaestriaNick, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  7. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Hi there and thanks a bunch for the reply.

[EDIT]With your assistance, I found where I messed that up. I can't thank you enough for your help and hope that it will clear up now within a few hours.[/EDIT]

thanks,
    json

#7 schwim, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008