The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by scrotaye2, Apr 17, 2006.

1. scrotaye2

scrotaye2 Member

Hi, I acquired a dedicated server approximately 5 months ago. I have my domain registered with APlus.net and have been using their DNS service because I couldn't figure out how to use the name server associated with my server through cPanel.

Could someone point me to some documentation on how to achieve this so I don't have to rely on the APlus.net nameservers?

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. scrotaye2

scrotaye2 Member

Thank you kindly for the prompt reply.

I have followed that article, and I have a couple questions. They are probably minor, but I want to make SURE that I am doing this correctly.

Question 1:

The guide says this:

This did not work for me. I got a 'service: command not found' error. I attributed this to the thought that this guide was probably written for linux and not bsd. However I successfully restarted BIND from the WHM interface.

Question 2:

The guide says this:

I look in this file and I find this:

nameserver 4.2.2.2
    nameserver 4.2.2.1

Whaaa... I have no clue what that is :P Should I manually change this to reflect the guides instructions?

Question 3:

The guide says:

OK, they're there. But I also have an additional entry that says 111.111.111.111=0. Of course I changed my ip to 111.111.111.111 for this forum entry, but what does the =0 part mean, and should it be there?

Thanks for your help. Additionally, i might add going to http :// ns1.mynameserver.com works. Is everything OK?

4. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    #1 - Didn't know you were on BSD so the WHM restart will work.

#2 - The resolv.conf can be as simple as just the 2 name server IPs as your original file shows. Of course using the correct IPs for your server.

#3 - IP=O just means that the IP listed is not being used as a name server.

Assume you have working domains on this server?

Would consider keeping the APlus.net name servers involved to avoid downtime. Also keeping them will give you some measure of redundancy. In that case you would add their IPs to the resolv.conf.

Depending on how many domains you have and whether you control them, you will need to change/add the name servers at the registrar.

Don't know if you are aware of dnsreport.com and dnsstuff.com. Running your domains thru them can help trouble shoot problems you may encounter.

#4 sawbuck, Apr 17, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  5. scrotaye2

scrotaye2 Member

I only have one domain on this server, as its a dedicated server for a medium sized site. I reflected the changes with the registrar and I am now waiting for them to propagate. (I only used cpanel because I was somewhat familiar with the frontend and backend interfaces, and felt comfortable using it for administrative purposes. I wonder how many people use cpanel without being a reseller? :D)

I no longer wish to use APlus.net's services, for personal reasons, and the reason that I don't need them if I have my own nameserver. Plus it's an extra $8.95 per year :-p

I was not aware of those sites, they look nifty though! I am a programmer; so all this server stuff is a bit new to me.

Thank you for the replies and the guides.. good stuff!

6. scrotaye2

scrotaye2 Member

One other thing.

while http :// ns1.mydns.com and ns2.mydns.com works... so does anything.mydomain.com

Is this an issue dealing with DNS recursion?

Edit: Could this also be because in cPanel I have this:

Set to ns1.mydomain.com

as well as the primary nameserver set to ns1.mydomain.com?

#6 scrotaye2, Apr 17, 2006
  7. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In a word, yes.

Should have mentioned to check the /etc/hosts file to see that you have the correct info listed there. IMX it pays to double check the server setup files after cPanel has been installed.

#7 sawbuck, Apr 17, 2006