The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

namesevers 150 domains many nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by kitsguru, May 12, 2011.

1. kitsguru

kitsguru Member

Apr 30, 2011
    I have a bit of a problem that I can't seem to get a handle on.

We have 150 domains hosted on our dedicated server. Our ISP provides name servers for the server and some of the domains. The other domains are registered and have DNS services elsewhere such as tucows and godaddy. Account primary Domains themselves do not seem to be a problem.

Parking a domain that has DNS provided elsewhere is causing some hiccups. If I use WHM to park the domain - it works fine. If I use the cPanel control panel to attempt to park it, Park Domains says to add, yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy name servers and refuses to add the parked domain.

I am a bit confused as to what is happening here. Can someone explain why one method works and the other does not. Why would I be required to enter the IP addresses for nameservers provided by a third party?
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This is controlled via the following option under the "Domains" tab in "WHM>> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings":

"Allow Remote Domains"

The description of this option reads as:

"Allow creation of parked/addon domains that resolve to other servers (e.g. domain transfers) This can be a major security problem. If you must have it enabled, be sure not to allow users to park common Internet domains."

By default, this option is disabled, as recommended by cPanel. If you need to allow Parked/Add-on domains that use remote name servers to be added, you can add the remote name server IP addresses to the "Remote Name Server IPs" tab under:

"WHM >> IP Functions >> Configure Remote Service IPs"

Thank you.