The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naming you servers..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by areh, May 19, 2007.

1. areh

areh Active Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Today, I have two servers named and (both nameservers). I also run a hosting company on

This causes cPanel to raise a warning in many situations that says that an account (my webhosting company) shouldn't be owner of a nameserver and that it is dangerous.

Now, I want to register a new domain that I only want for nameserver purposes. Call it This domain shall have two nameserver: and ns2 will be a completely new server, and I would not use the server as name server any more.

1. Must my hostname be ns1( and ns2( ? I would have prefered to have another name on the physical box.. ns1/ns2 is nice for dns record because it gives short name, but when switching between servers.. not so good. And what to call the third server that is not nameserver...

2. How can this happen withouth downtime. Registrar in my country requires both nameservers to be setup correctly before registration is manually approved. This means that I have to change hostname in cPanel on my master server to the new domain before it is working!

3. To create a dns record that is not owned by an account, I setup the dns record manually (with ip to ns1 and ns2), correct? Using only A and NS record.