The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAT Mode confirmation

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by regl, Oct 29, 2014.

1. regl

regl Registered

Aug 21, 2008

I just setup a new instance of WHM on an EC2 setup. I normally only use publicly available cloud or dedicated servers, so the NAT Mode is new to me.

With the machine in NAT Mode, it properly recognizes the public ip and maps with the private ip. When I move a site over from another WHM server, the DNS properly uses the public IP, however the Apache config incorrectly uses the public IP and not the private IP. Is this the expected behavior? It would seem to me that the reason there is a NAT Mode is so that it knows how to configure it's services. Honestly, what else is the point of having the NAT Mode?

Hoping for some clarification.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The NAT functionality included with cPanel was designed for fresh installations of cPanel where migrations would not occur. You can submit a feature request that adds support for transfers via:

Submit A Feature Request

The current method most commonly used to modify the IP address of the account to an internal IP address is to use the IP Migration Wizard:

"WHM Home » IP Functions » IP Migration Wizard"

Then, edit the DNS Zones so the external IP address is used (either through WHM or the command line).

Note that 1:1 NAT is documented here:

1:1 NAT

Thank you.