The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NDR not received from GoDaddy hosting cPanel email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Bitsmasher, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Bitsmasher

Bitsmasher Registered

Oct 20, 2014
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi All,

I am using the cPanel email that is included free as part of the GoDaddy Linux hosting for a few websites I support. I do not receive NDR messages to any of the accounts, so I asked the following to GoDaddy support:

If I send an email via cPanel (either Roundcube webmail or from the Outlook client on my PC)to a mistyped user at a remote domain, I should be getting a bounce back (NDR) message from the remote server to let me know I may have mistyped the users email address. Unfortunately, I receive no such indication and assume the remote user received the email. I need to have this corrected.

To which I received the following response:

Thank you for your response. I understand you do not receive bouncebacks to the email accounts setup in cPanel when the email are sent to invalid addresses. I apologize for any confusion in this matter.

You do not receive bouncebacks on this nature, because cPanel hosting accounts utilize a relay server to send email. In other words, email is sent from your hosting account to the SMTP Relay Server, and the relay server send the email to the recipient. If the email is bounced, it is returned to the relay server, which does not return the email to the original email account. That functionality is not an option on Web Hosting accounts.
    Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Michael R.
    Hosting Support

It seems incredible to me that there is no way of knowing whether an urgent email may have had an incorrect address or other issue, other then waiting for a response or actually calling the individual. Has anyone else had this experience and is there any hope for a solution??

Thanks for your time!!
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please keep in mind that it's due to the nature of how your hosting provider utilizes a relay server, and not standard behavior with cPanel. There's really no way around that behavior without intervention from your hosting provider.

Thank you.