The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a script to export list of all emails.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jetnet, Aug 20, 2006.

1. jetnet

jetnet Active Member

So SPAM has been a constant pain in everyones side for the last... 10 years. We have a great solution in place, but only one problem. We need a full list of all the email addresses being hosted on our server right now. Well with close to 200 domains on each of our servers, its a daunting task to go from server to server listing out all of the email addresses. Not to mention, but tomorrow, someone mad add a new email, and they would be without protection.

So the question is, is there an easy why to locally list out all e-mail addresses?

If that is possiable, is there a way to list out all of the forwards and lists addresses?

2. jetnet

jetnet Active Member

Let me be more specific about this. I do not want someone to write the script for me, I need someone to tell me where I can find this information, or how I can get the list. I can do everything else.

Thanks for the hints.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

This should get you started:

find /home/*/etc/*/passwd

The email addresses are the username (the first field)

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

All forwarders are in /etc/valiases.

5. ggriffit

ggriffit Registered

Need More Help...

Hey All,

I am not a linux admin at all, therefore I need more help getting the email address list. Can someone that maybe already wrote the script post or send me a copy and I can modify it to work on our system? I am very familar with scripting on a Windows box, but not on a *nix system at all and I need a list of email addresses so that they can run thru out gateway servers before it reaches this CPanel box.

Thanks!
    Grant Griffith

6. TheIdeaMan

TheIdeaMan Member

One possible solution for all email accounts for an entire WHM installation

Here's a rather kludgy solution that works, but could certainly be improved.

/etc/valiases/* contains all the forwarding accounts.
    /etc/vdomainaliases/* contains all the domain forwarders.

The tricky one is the actual accounts. They live in /etc/vmail/passwd.* files.

My method for retrieving all of the above was a combination of find and cat (run these in a directory you can save to):
    Code:
    find /etc/valiases/* -exec cat {}\; > valiases
    find /etc/vdomainaliases/* -exec cat {}\; > vdomainaliases
    find /etc/vmail/passwd.* -exec cat {}\; > vmail
    The next thing I did was to parse the vmail message via TextWrangler (which uses grep) to output just the directories of each account:

1. Used the regex below to find all lines not containing account info (including trailing hard return); replaced them with nothing to remove them
    Code:
    /etc/(.*)\s
    Pulled out just the path where the e-mail for that inbox resides
    Code:
    (.*)::(.*):(.*)
    Replaced the above with \2 in the grep that comes with TextWranger

After running the above, I put that file back on the server and ran this (vmail being the original file name, and vmail_space being the output file name):
    Code:
    cat vmail | xargs du -sh > vmail_space
    That gave me a file containing the same info as the original file plus current disk usage for each account.

That file could be parsed further to output e-mail addresses rather than path names, but that should help get you started.

Hope that's helpful to someone else trying to get a complete list of e-mail addresses out for a cPanel/WHM server.

The other option I was considering was using the cPanel API--which should also work, but take a bit more coding.