The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice: folder security

Discussion in 'Security' started by sdixon, Mar 10, 2007.

1. sdixon

sdixon Member

Mar 10, 2007
    -have a domain "" (this is one of our shared hosting clients)
    -have to password protect several web folders for 50 different users
    -one sub folder has same access except one account needs to be denied access (a limited access account)
    -also have to do same function for FTP accounts

NOTE: when I say 'accounts' I mean the ones you create via the cPanel Password Protected Folders icon (not an account in the passwd file)

[FTP] <--this one has same access list less one account

[HTTP] <--this one has same access list less one account

-cPanel doesn't seem to support creating groups (or I can't find it at any rate)
    -password protecting sub folders blocks inheriting the parent folders ACL (accounts/passwords set at "docs" are ignored when an account is added to "docs/upload")
    -I don't want to have to create or maintain 200+ account entries (50/ea for the 3 web folders and 50 for the ftp accounts)
    -I have to be able to disable access to individual accounts as needed

-have 49 accounts that need access to all 5 folder paths
    -have 1 account that needs access to ONLY the top level folders
    -need to be able to maintain and disable individual accounts

-Is there a way to implement group access control to the 5 folders (5 groups is OK) for a shared hosting account, or is there a quicker way to implement this than one account at a time for all 5 folders?
    -Is there a way I can deny access to individual FTP users from sub folders (would at least cut out 100 new entries)?
    -Any other ideas?

PS - I have (root) access via SSH (shell), WHM and HCP.