The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice re MariaDB10 upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nivekau, Mar 18, 2016.

1. nivekau

nivekau Member

I want to upgrade from MySql 5.5 to MariaDB10.

The upgrade wizard is saying;

The following users use pre-4.1-style MySQL passwords: cphulkd roundcube leechprotect eximstats munin [plus several cpanel account users]

We recommend that you update all of your accounts to longer MySQL password hashes before you perform this upgrade. Failure to do so could disrupt database access for accounts or applications that use pre-4.1-style MySQL passwords.

I don't really understand how to update the hashes for these accounts. There aren't many cpanel user accounts and they are all mine, so if I need to generate new passwords for them it's not difficult, just consumes a bit of time. Am I correct in thinking I can do a password change but actually use the same password and a new hash will be generated?

And what do I do about cphulkd, roundcube, leechprotect, eximstats and munin?

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That is correct. You can change the passwords to the same password if you want. BUT, you need to make sure that your MySQL isn't currently configured to still generate pre-4.1 16-byte passwords. It probably isn't.

For account passwords, just log into the cPanel accounts and change the passwords to the same ones if you know the old password. If you don't know the old password, there is no way to decrypt it so you'll just have to set a new password.

But, like I said, make sure you don't have old-passwords=1 in your /etc/my.cnf. If you do, remove it or comment it out and restart MySQL. Then go in and change passwords on the accounts still using pre-4.1 passwords.

Mike

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, as mentioned in the previous post, you should first review /etc/my.cnf on this system to see if there's an entry for "old-passwords=1".

Thank you.

4. nivekau

nivekau Member

"old-passwords=1" was not present in /etc/my.cnf but in WHM in Server Config Tweak Settings >MySQL "Use pre-4.1-style MySQL® passwords" was enabled. I have disabled it.

I'm just going to upgrade to MariaDB 10 now and see what happens. This is a new server and not in production yet, so if it screws up I will just rebuild it.