The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Different Reply To Address Than Email Address

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jreifert, Jul 4, 2008.

1. jreifert

jreifert Member

When someone sends an email to me at consumer_inquiry@blah.com , I have an autoresponder set up to send them a greeting message. (That is a great tool, by the way.)

I'm only using the email address above in affiliation with a couple of forms on my website, so I wouldn't want people clicking on reply with the greeting message, because--in addition to sending their reply to me--they will get another copy of the greeting message.

What I would like to do, in some way, is to give the email address above the "reply-to" address of blah@blah.com , so that any replies would come directly to my main email address, and not make it obvious to the sender that they were getting answered--the first time...not to mention on subsequent times--by an autoresponder, as would currently be the case.

So far, I've...

1) Set up the consumer_inquiry@blah.com email address.

2) Have it forwarding to blah@blah.com , and

3) Have an autoresponder answering any emails which are sent to the consumer_inquiry address, at the same time that a copy of their inquiry is sent to me at the blah email address.

Anyone have any idea how I can set consumer_inquiry up with a "reply-to" address? I'm thinking it might be possible to do so by using the "pipe to a program" feature...but that's beyond my technical ability.

#1 jreifert, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. jreifert

jreifert Member

Incidentally...I would think this would be a problem for anyone who is using the autoresponder as a first point of greeting/education for prospective clients.

So, in future builds of this portion of whatever program allows for the forwarding of email, it would probably be appreciated by many if a box for a different "reply to" email was offered.

Just a thought.

#2 jreifert, Jul 4, 2008
  3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Your host would be better suited to ask this to. If they have questions about cPanel they come to these forums.

Looking at the Modify/Add Auto-Responder page it lists the email, from, and subject. I don't use auto responders so I'm probably no help here, but it reads to me like what you seek can already be accomplished there.

Below that is the email field where you'd place that customer email address, the from field would be the email address you'd want them to reply to. I think. This page could be worded a little better I believe.

Meantime, you might want to edit your posts above, not sure why you'd want to post real email addresses to a forum full of strangers from around the world you never met. ;)

4. jreifert

jreifert Member

I've also posted the same request with my host's support. Just trying to get an answer as quickly as possible...and I think my second message--with the suggestion--actually does speak to a feature that would be much appreciated by any who use the features in question as I do.

For my part, :D , it could be worded a lot better. I'm still not understanding how to make the modifications...but, that gives me more to go on, and I might be able to Google the thing down to a point where I can understand.

While your point is well taken, and I did go ahead and make the changes, there are other clues that would allow someone who was truly intent on doing me harm to track me down with a degree of certainty.

Heck, I'm all over the place on the web. But, no sense making it child's play, I suppose. Thanks for your help!

5. jreifert

jreifert Member

Configuration Tags

Turns out that the %email% tags, and the like, are to be used just as they appear. All they do, though, is--for instance, in the case of %email%--put the email address of the person who created the autoresponder into the text portion of the autoresponder's email.

I realize you mentioned you weren't expert on autoresponders...but thought you, and others, might have been interested in the result.

Thanks again...

There is a feature called "pipe to a program" in the forwarding portion of cPanel 11, and I think if there's a workaround, it may well be found there. Again...outside my area of expertise, and probably that of a lot of other end users, which is why a field to fill in within the program would be useful in future builds. IMO

#5 jreifert, Jul 4, 2008
  6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  7. jreifert

jreifert Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I looked over the information, and I think the answer does rest therein...it's just beyond my ability to code what needs to be coded and properly implement the solution.

I will, though, go to the link you gave for the enhancement request, and make my suggestion for improving the autoresponder.

Thanks!